Change your Daily Routine When Possible
Routines that are too consistent can be observed by burglars and could possibly give them enough time to break in to your residence. Here are some tips to make your schedule less predictable:
- Leave for work later or come home at a different time on some days.
- Pick a less common spot to hide your spare key.
Make every effort to not put your key in a typical place such as under a door mat (or anywhere close to the door) or in any area where the key is evident to others. Also, do not let kids show their friends where the key is kept or let others see you retrieve your key.
Other home security tips:
- Vacant homes are a much easier target than occupied ones.
- Predictability can help a criminal guess when you will or won't be at home.
- Easy entry for you can be easy entry for a criminal.
- No outdoor lighting can save you on energy bills, but it can make your home a very attractive target.
- Valuable items in view are like a display window at a store to a would-be thief.
- Additional tips for helping to keep your house secure from intrusion.