Do Not Leave your Home in the Dark
Here are some things that make it obvious that you are not home:
- Outdoor lights with low wattage bulbs.
- No lights on a timer or motion sensor bulbs installed outside.
- No outdoor lights at all or no lights installed on outdoor buildings on your property.
Make sure the outside of your home is well lighted with higher wattage bulbs. Also, it is important to not discuss your travel plans openly or talk about anything valuable that you keep at your residence. Ensure that all members of your family know they should keep these details private.
Other home security tips:
- Vacant homes are a much easier target than occupied ones.
- Predictability can help a criminal guess when you will or won't be at home.
- Easy entry for you can be easy entry for a criminal.
- No outdoor lighting can save you on energy bills, but it can make your home a very attractive target.
- Valuable items in view are like a display window at a store to a would-be thief.
- Additional tips for helping to keep your house secure from intrusion.