Do Not Make it Obvious that you are Not Home
The following makes it apparent that your home is not currently occupied:
- Mail and newspapers are piling up at your residence.
- Garbage placed outside in advance of the pick up date.
- Drapes closed all the way.
- No noise or lights on inside the house.
- No cars parked in the driveway.
Stop your mail and papers from being delivered or have a neighbor pick them up for you. Leave some curtains partially open and one or two lights, and perhaps a TV or radio, on timers inside. You can also ask a neighbor to park in your driveway to make it look like there is activity at your house.
Other home security tips:
- Vacant homes are a much easier target than occupied ones.
- Predictability can help a criminal guess when you will or won't be at home.
- Easy entry for you can be easy entry for a criminal.
- No outdoor lighting can save you on energy bills, but it can make your home a very attractive target.
- Valuable items in view are like a display window at a store to a would-be thief.
- Additional tips for helping to keep your house secure from intrusion.