Keep Valuables Out of Sight When Possible
Follow these tips when storing your property:
- Keep your garage door closed when possible so others cannot see items such as lawn mowers, bikes, and vehicles that are stored there.
- Close curtains and blinds that make items such as jewelry or electronics visible to those on the outside.
Make sure to always close all blinds at night. In addition, all garage doors should be securely closed at night and when you are not outside.
Other home security tips:
- Vacant homes are a much easier target than occupied ones.
- Predictability can help a criminal guess when you will or won't be at home.
- Easy entry for you can be easy entry for a criminal.
- No outdoor lighting can save you on energy bills, but it can make your home a very attractive target.
- Valuable items in view are like a display window at a store to a would-be thief.
- Additional tips for helping to keep your house secure from intrusion.