Home Security Statistics
Do you need a home security system? Most people feel very secure in their homes until they are the victim of a home invasion.
Listed below are some basic crime and burglary statistics. After seeing some of these facts, it may change your mind about owning a home security system.
- According to the FBI, a burglary occurs every 15 seconds.
- More than 1.4 million home invasions occurred in 2005 and every year that number continues to rise.
- Property crime accounts for a little more than three-quarters of all crime in the United States. Burglary makes up 21.2 % of the estimated number of property crimes that were committed in the U.S. in 2005.
- A home without a security or alarm system is 2.7 to 3.5 times likely to be a target than a home that has a system installed.
- More than 60% of residential burglaries take place during the day between the hours of 6:00 AM and 6:00 PM.
- 90% of police believe having a monitored home alarm system prevents home invasion attempts.
- Nine out of ten convicted burglars said they would avoid a house protected by a home security system.
If burglars target your neighborhood and find some houses with alarm systems and other homes without, you can bet they will try and break in to a home that is not protected by a security system. Posting a company’s notification sign for an alarm system is frequently enough to cause a burglar to try elsewhere.